Features and Benefits
Based on Research
- Developmentally appropriate
- Uses active learning strategies and reinforcement materials
- Comprehensive in content and audience
- Puts polyvictimization research into practice, teaching universal rules and strategies
Practical for Schools
- Easy to implement with just two lessons per class in Kindergarten through Grade 6
- Uses a standardized curriculum with facilitator script and classroom PowerPoint presentation
- Certified facilitators are trained prior to implementing program in classrooms
Helps Schools/Districts Meet Statute/Policy Requirements
- Helps schools meet state and district abuse, bullying, and cyberbullying prevention and education mandates such as the Jeffrey Johnston Stand Up for All Students Act and Chapter 39 Statute in Florida
- Reinforces many Common Core Education Standards and National Health Education Standards, as well as Florida Education Standards and Florida Health Education Standards, to help schools meet Required Instruction Statutes
The MBF Child Safety Matters™ curriculum is provided to Certified Facilitators on a flash drive and is updated each year based on facilitator feedback and research reviews.
Certified Facilitators provide two age and developmentally appropriate Safety Lessons to each classroom. The Safety Scripts and Safety Lesson PowerPoint presentations are included on the Facilitator Flash Drive and include information and fun and engaging videos, games, and activities for students.
Safety Lesson 1 introduces the topics of:
- Safety awareness
- Shared responsibility for safety
- Safe adults
- Types of abuse
- Red flags
- The 5 Safety Rules
Safety Lesson 2 introduces the topics of:
- Digital abuse
- Digital safety tips
- Digital citizenship
- The 5 Safety Rules
Additional reinforcement materials for parents, classrooms, and schools are shipped directly to the school once a Certified Facilitator places an order, or are available on the Facilitator flash drive.
Materials for Students include:
- Pencil (All Grades)
- Sticker (Kindergarten & Grade 1)
- Backpack tag (Grade 2)
- Pencil Pouch (Grade 3)
- Wristband (Grade 4)
- Pen/Stylus (Grade 5 & 6)
- Pen/Highlighter Combo (Grade 6)
Materials for Parents / Safe Adults include:
- Safety Connection: Parent Welcome & Opt-Out
- Safety Connection: Parent Information & Reinforcement Activities (Lesson 1 & 2)
- Safety Connection: Discussing Sensitive Topics
- Parents Safety Presentation Invitation
- 5 Safety Rules Magnet
- Safe Adult Bookmarks
Materials for Classrooms / Schools include:
- Safety Checks (Pre and Post tests)
- Safety Support Sheets (Classroom reinforcement materials)
- 5 Safety Rules posters for classrooms
- 5 Safety Rules banner for school
- Staff Professional Development Invitation
- Safety Briefs for teachers, administrators, and school and PTA members
Additional Materials are included and can be downloaded here:
- Program Overview
- Safety Brief: Child Maltreatment
- Safety Brief: Bullying & Cyberbullying
- Safety Brief: Victimization, Prevention, & Academic Achievement
- Safety Brief: Child Development
- Safety Brief: Counseling Standards (Florida)
- Safety Brief: 5 Safety Rules
- Safety Brief: Digital Safety
- Safety Brief: Program Goals and Objectives
Facilitator Training Options
The facilitator training course is appropriate for anyone not previously trained in MBF Child Safety Matters™ who plans to implement the program in the classroom, or anyone who wants professional development training.
Live Facilitator Training (3 hours)
Live, instructor-led, certified facilitator training for a group.
Online Facilitator Course (2 hours)
Individual, self-paced, certified facilitator training taken via an online learning course. Trainees can register and move through the online course at their own pace.
Online Facilitator Update (15 minutes)
The online facilitator update training is appropriate for all previously trained facilitators who want to learn about program updates and current materials. Facilitators can view it at their convenience here.
For more information about training opportunities contact Stacy Pendarvis, MSW, MA, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 904-562-1845.
A goal of the MBF Child Safety Matters™ program is to keep parents the authority in their child’s life where matters of safety are concerned.
Parents should be provided with the program’s Safety Connection materials, including the provided welcome letter with program information and optional opt-out form prior to their child’s participation. They should also receive provided reinforcement materials, and information sheets after each of the two classroom lessons, including activities to do with their child, empowering and educating them to better protect their children.
Schools should consider offering additional information and the opportunity to view the entire curriculum during a parent education night or event. Materials such as a Parent Safety Presentation Invitation and a Safety Matters Information PowerPoint are provided to Certified Facilitators to easily and effectively provide such parent education.
Should a school need additional information or support, they may contact the Monique Burr Foundation at Info@MBFChildSafetyMatters.org or 904-642-0210.